In response to the upcoming Appraiser Qualification Changes that become effective on January 1, 2015, the Bureau of Real Estate Appraisers (BREA) has been experiencing a higher than average volume of license upgrade and initial license applications. In an effort to assist our Applicants with shorter processing times, please be aware of the following:
- Submit a complete application with ALL required information.
- Appraisal assignments must be documented on the BREA Log of Appraisal Experience form REA 3004. Other formats will not be accepted.
- Applicant must complete a separate Log of Appraisal Experience including the certification for each Supervising Appraiser.
- Include only acceptable Categories of Experience on the Log of Appraisal Experience (See California Code of Regulations § 3542 Acceptable Categories of Experience and Criteria for Each Category).
- Document only appraisal assignments for which Applicant can provide a copy upon request.
- Only appraisals performed for a business purpose where Applicant either signed the report, or was named in the report with an appropriate summary of the extent of the assistance performed may be included on the Log of Appraisal Experience.
- Supervising Appraiser must review and certify as to the accuracy of the Log of Appraisal Experience for the assignments completed under their supervision. Falsely certifying the Category of Experience, assignments completed, and/or Applicant's level of participation in the assignment may result in the denial of an application and/or action against the signatory(ies) of the certification.
- Submit the appropriate certification page for the Log of Appraisal Experience. The certification page(s) must be from the Log of Appraisal Experience current as of the date the certification(s) are signed.
- When submitting requested work samples, do not alter or redact the appraisal reports. Only "true and correct" copies of what was communicated to the client are acceptable as work samples.(**NOTE** In substantiating appraisal experience BREA may obtain report copies from a variety of sources, including the client. Work samples provided to BREA by the Applicant must match the reports communicated to the client. The submission of altered work samples may result in the denial of an application and/or action against any party involved in the alteration of the work).
- Applications are processed as received. The processing time will be delayed if the application is deficient and/or incomplete.
***SPECIAL NOTE*** We highly recommend both Supervising Appraiser and Trainee/Applicant search appraisal course providers for classes regarding the roles and responsibilities of the Supervisor and Trainee.